CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER (CFO)
Location: Richmond, BC, Canada
Position: Full Time
As the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) you are a subject matter expert, trusted advisor and valuable member of the executive team responsible for the oversight, leadership and delivery of Accounting, Financial Planning & Analysis, Tax, Treasury, Risk Management and Legal. You are a visionary innovator, dynamic people leader, proven growth-stage builder and passionate about continuous improvement. For the next phase of your career, you’re ready to apply all that you’ve learned in the past to craft the financial strategy for company-wide operational excellence.
You’ve been there, done that, in various manufacturing industries from start-up through full-scale commercialization to liquidity, and are excited to tackle this challenge again. You see opportunities where others see problems. You are one of those people who are grateful to be standing in the opportunity created by others who came before them but able to see that what got us here is not what is going to get us to the next stage. It energizes you to think that your primary focus will be to peel back what is currently in place and re-imagine a comprehensive plan for what is required to fulfil the long-term strategic goals of the company. With buy-in and support, you will set out to execute on this newly created plan with the other members of the Senior Leadership Team.
Your previous cost accounting background in manufacturing has exposed you to the wonderful world of Lean Six Sigma and you can’t wait to be one of the founding members of the Operational Excellence team to help transform bioLytical with double the outcome without doubling the inputs.
You’re not necessarily a tax expert (bonus if you are!) but you have relationships with professionals to help guide you into the best possible global tax and appropriate corporate structure decisions. You’ve previously been called a SR&ED ninja and IRAP warrior; you’re an insurance policy pro and love reviewing lengthy agreements with a fine-tooth comb. You know your way around term sheets and can negotiate various types of non-dilutive funding for large capital projects from usual and ingenious sources; you have managed a large shareholder base in either public or private companies.
You’re looking forward to joining a growing company where the decisions you’ll be making are lease vs buy, invest now or invest later, this ERP system or that one, implement in a phased approach or go all in. You also understand that it is a highly critical time so any mistake could truly be a deathly mistake which is why you rely on your demonstrated history of being thorough and well-prepared.
bioLytical’s INSTI is the world’s fastest testing platform – providing results in just 1 minute. Yes, you read that correctly – results in 1 minute not 1 to 2 weeks! We’ve been in business since 2002 and are growing significantly now with the launch of new products all over the world. bioLytical Laboratories has ranked on Business in Vancouver’s Top 100 Fastest Growing Companies list three years in a row, is the winner of the 2018 Lifesciences BC’s Growth Stage MedTech Company of the Year and honoured as the 2019 BC Exporter of the Year by the Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters Association.
We are looking for talented and passionate people to join us on our mission to end AIDS. With millions of tests already sold, INSTI is trusted by healthcare professionals and recently available to consumers. Come join us on our journey and help make a difference in the world!
INSTI Core Values
- INNOVATION in what we do, how we do it and how we think: Contributes new ideas, challenges the status quo, takes initiative on projects.
- NEVER SAY NEVER: Stays engaged until the goal is reached or project is completed. Overcomes barriers. Cares so much about the task at hand that the impossible is made possible.
- SENSATIONAL to our clients, to our partners, to each other: Spirited team player, who adapts to new situations quickly and is beyond reliable.
- TAKES OWNERSHIP of goals, decisions, actions and results: Arrives on time and prepared, leads by example, follows through on commitments.
- INSPIRED to excel: Demonstrates passion for INSTI, our people and our projects. Is not complacent, shares knowledge freely, exhibits awareness of self, their surroundings and the business.
Determine Your Fit
- You live and breathe the details while being entrepreneurial; you provide smart, shrewd, dependable financial advice in an expeditious manner
- Your policies and procedures are respected through your leadership and follow through; you hold yourself and others to a high standard of personal accountability
- You believe in analyzing your success through a detailed understanding of financial and operational metrics and the levers that drive profitability
- You hire “A” players, continuously develop employees and coach for performance
- You are passionate about positively impacting the lives of employees and customers; you are the first to celebrate the success of your team and others
- You create a network of talented people
- Success for you is establishing and executing goals through your teams, systems and processes
- You are confident, calm under pressure and a logical, data-driven decision maker
How You Will Contribute
- Play a key role in developing, monitoring and evaluating overall corporate strategy, with the executive leadership team, emphasising bottom line performance, working capital and enhancing shareholder value. Provide useful financial insights to help make better decisions about formulating and executing strategy.
- Interact effectively with all parts of the company; be viewed as a trusted business advisor. Critical outcomes include supporting the executive team with key financial information and operational analytics, driving a culture of accountability in managing the business and respectfully voicing well-substantiated differing opinions.
- Translate business strategy into finance strategies. You make your impact by understanding the company’s business and the operation of every function.
- Bring a disciplined approach to pursuing innovation and working to ensure that the company takes on the right mix of risks.
- Communicate effectively with multiple audiences. From our management team to the production line, you provide a clear view into the company’s vision, goals, and progress.
- Oversee long-term financial planning especially regarding manufacturing equipment material, labour and overhead.
- Present financial and business case analyses, as needed, to support decisions for the organization’s growth initiatives.
- Oversee the preparation of the annual information circular, gather proxies for quorum, present voting results at the AGM as well as preparation for periodic board meetings including minute taking.
- With the assistance of external experts, responsible for creating and executing tax planning strategies, tax compliance work in multiple jurisdictions (Canada, USA & EU), sales/income taxes and transfer pricing.
- Conduct contract reviews, trademark renewals and other legal matters as required
- Lead financial aspects of potential M&A activity including the financial evaluation of M&A candidates, structuring, negotiating and finalizing purchase agreements and leading systems integration initiatives.
Qualifications You Bring
- CPA designation, additionally an MBA and/or CFA would be nice
- Experience with Bills of Materials in a manufacturing company is a must
- Experience scaling companies from $50M to $150M in product revenue is preferred
- Experience working in several different organizations ranging from 150 to 1,500 employees
- Experience leading an ERP system implementation including manufacturing data collection is preferred
- IFRS reporting, corporate and sales tax experience in a multi-company, multi-currency environment
- Experience managing a large shareholder base is preferred
- Ability to travel internationally, if required
What We Offer
- A competitive compensation package
- Extended health benefits including dental, optometry, RMT, etc.
- Flexible working hours
- Bonus day off with pay on your birthday every year!
- Paid sick days
- Complimentary reserved parking
- Gym and shower facilities
- Opportunity to work with industry experts
- Oh and you will also have a chance to show off your dance moves and singing voice at the Christmas parties, lead in lawn bowling or volleyball at the summer barbeques and devour cake at the monthly birthday celebrations
HOW TO APPLY:
Send your cover letter, resume and salary expectations to email@example.com or send us an email if you need additional details about this opportunity. We are an equal opportunity employer and invite applications from all qualified individuals.